Thursday, March 10, 2005

Like A Fish Claiming Water Doesn't Exist

Noisy ghost over on shooting rockets at the sun replies to a woman who claims America has no culture:
I am McDonalds and Mr. Rogers and Hollywood. I am Benjamin Franklin and Ayn Rand and Rush Limbaugh and Abraham Lincoln. I am sliding into second base on the baseball field and in the backseat of a 1974 Ford Mustang. I am “One small step for man” and “Ask not what your country can do for you” and “Can’t we all just get along” and “I did not have sexual relations with that woman”. I am Venus Flytrap on WKRP in Cincinnati and Phoebe Buffet from Friends. I am the Ku Klux Klan and Martin Luther King, Jr. I am Andy Warhol and the Lindy Hop and Jim Morrison and Chuck Berry and Elvis freakin’ Presley. I am ...


The US draws in culture from around the world. We bring it with us when we come, and sometimes we adopt it from visitors and Americans returned from abroad. From that and our own unique lives and creativity, we create a vibrant culture of music, art, science, freedom and dreams, which many who remain in our ancestral lands adopt and adapt in return.

America is a great cultural engine burning the fuel of experience from around the world and a little beyond with the steady sparking of creativity in the cylinders of our artistic media. It's a beautiful give and take that I'm quite happy to be a part of.

No comments: